Bobwhite and bluebird box? & Maine birding

>Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 15:04:54
>To: carolinabids@duke.edu
>From: Kaye Fenlon <ktfenlon@mindspring.com>
>Subject: Bobwhite and bluebird box? & Maine birding
>
>Hello John and Joshua,
>John, How big is your yard  and how big of an area do you let the grass
grow  3 feet tall.?? Having grown up in Southern Ohio ,I remember hearing
so many Bobwhite...just loving to hear them even as a small child. It
saddens me so that I hear none now when I am in Ohio visiting my Mom. She
has 5 acres still bordering some farmland and she has talked about letting
a big part of her yard grow into a planted wildflower field or grass. There
is only one farm hedge row left just behind her property. I do not know if
this would be enough cover for them or not. Thanks!

>Joshua,
>I was under the impression that the bluebirds would not return  to start a
second brood if you did not clean out the box. I guess this is not so??

>We just returned from a trip to northern Maine..just 30 miles from the New
Brunswick border..Island Falls, Me. The birding was fantastic ..I added  a
few new warbler species to my list. Northern Parula and Blackburnian  (both
of which I saw very close), and Black-throated green. We also saw a Spruce
Grouse and 10 chicks so small we wondered if they had hatched that day,and
a Bald eagle, Warbling vireo, Ovenbird, Red-eyed Vireo, Black-throated Blue
warbler, Evening Grosbeak, American Redstart, White throats and chipping
sparrows,Cedar waxwings, Juncos and fledglings, Wood thrush,  House wrens,
Downy woodpeckers and several Yellow-bellied sapsuckers as well as a pair
feeding young in a tree just outside our cabin door. I was up every morning
at dawn trying to identify the many warbler species and other birds. We
also saw more loon than I have ever seen there since the mid 70's.(very
encouraging) Lots of hummers too.

>Just before a thunderstorm one eve we heard the loon really wailing!
Waking up to their yodels each morning was a little bit of heaven!

ktfenlon@mindspring.com