more post-breeding dispersal

Around noon, while visiting my parents in Lexington county, I heard a
strangely familiar high-pitched wolf whistle overhead.  Up high in a sky so
bright with haze and sun that it dazzled my eyes, I could see two
Mississippi Kites and a Red-tailed Hawk.  The birds were describing lazy
slow spirals in the hot wind that sometimes proceeds thunderheads.  In the
mudhole of what remains of the acre pond that I grew up with was an
immature Little Blue Heron, successfully catching small frogs, and a Green
Heron.  While there is nothing particularly unusual about a Mississippi
Kite or a Little Blue Heron in Lexington county, they aren’t usual yard
birds for Mom and Dad.  Following on the sighting of a Mississippi Kite as
I got out of my car at work yesterday morning, and as others have pointed
out, it is apparent that post-breeding dispersal has begun.

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina