Re: Bobwhite and bluebird box? & Maine birding

On 6 Jul 2002, at 21:00, Joshua Stuart Rose wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Kaye Fenlon wrote:

[snip]

> > few new warbler species to my list. Northern Parula and Blackburnian
> >  (both of which I saw very close), and Black-throated green.
>
> Birders in Massachusetts are apparently very concerned about
> Blackburnians now. An Asian bug called a wooly Adelgid is rapidly
> killing off the Hemlock trees which are the bird's main nesting
> habitat. Another species of wooly Adelgid is what killed off the
> Fraser Firs in the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky mountains.

We should be concerned about the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid as
well here in NC.  As of 2001, there were at least 18 NC counties
(and one in SC) with known HWA infestations, including some in
the Piedmont (e.g Orange, Alamance, and Forsyth).  This is an
increase from *six* known infestations in the prior two years.  I
would hate to see them get into the really good Blackburnian spots
here, such as Trout Lake...but I fear it's only a matter of time, if
they're not there already.

The Forest Service has a page on the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/na/morgantown/fhp/hwa/hwasite.html

I, for one, find our prospects for ever digging out from under all the
invasive species rather depressing...but I'll keep hoping all the
same.

Good birding all,

-Sandy

--