Common Loon question

Hey,
     I'm from Ohio and just returned from my first
trip to NC.  I saw a first summer Common Loon off the
beach near Kitty Hawk.  According to my guides, they
winter in the area.  Though guides can be misleading,
so I tried finding more information online.  So far I
have had no luck.  Basically, the only information I
have states that this would be out of season, or a
very late/early migrant.  If someone could give me
some information I would appreciate.  I figured I was
better off asking.
     If you would like more details on the sighting I
would be more than happy to tell.
     I have no signifigant sightings, at least as far
as a rarity in NC.  I'm bummed that I found out about
the WF Ibis upon my return (I was in Nags Head many
times last week when it was seen.)
Thanks for any help,
Sam Corbo, 15
Cincinnati, OH