Re: Pigmy Nuthatch II

In a message dated 7/9/02 9:18:45 PM, tkrakauer@mindspring.com writes:
   << This spring we noticed that the feathers on the head kept getting
lighter and lighter until today the top of the head is more light tan than
brown.>>

<<From what I have observed this year what we are seeing is not a regional
subspecies, or a juvenile plumage. >>

Tom and All,
    I guess the one odd thing I noticed after my initial post a few weeks
ago, when I first noticed the individual with the grayer crown color at my
feeders, was that numerous people wrote to me saying the same thing.  I
thought at the time it seemed a little strange that quite a few others were
noticing this grayer crown color for the first time, too, after all having
seen lots of Brown-headed Nuthatches prior to this summer.  Had we all just
never seen a juvenile before?
    So maybe Tom has hit the nail on the head??  Except I still would decribe
the crown color as grayish, not light tan :-)  Looked like the crown color of
Sibley's Pigmy Nuthatch, is that the color you're seeing on the birds in your
yard, Tom?

Shelley

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC (south of Chapel Hill)
Psbmt@aol.com