Re: Pigmy Nuthatch II

I quote the following from Withgott & Smith 1998, Brown-headed Nuthatch. The
Birds of North America No. 349 A. Poole & F. Gill, eds. :
Juvenal plumage. ...very similar to adult..Top of head more grayish than in
adults or replaced by gray...
This is a 24 pp. publication on the BHN..other species are covered at
similar length. The cost of the series is prohibitive..I got it at half
price because I authored one of the accounts &, if I recall correctly, I
paid over $1000. But you might encourage your library to get a copy.
Information may be obtained from:
Birds of North America
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia PA 19103-1195

-- Helmut C. Mueller  Ph.D

 Professor Emeritus
 Dept. of Biology & Curriculum in Ecology
 University of North Carolina
 Coker Hall CB# 3280
 Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3280
 Phone: 919-942-4937