Mason Farm and Jordan Lake, Orange and Chatham Counties NC

Took a nice walk around Mason Farm this afternoon.  Highlights were
several calling Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Purple Martins (the first I've
seen there), a pair of American Redstarts, a Northern Parula and a
Black-and-White Warbler.  The Chapel Hill Bird Club checklist lists the
Black-and-White as rare in July, but a breeding species.  It was
certainly the first one I have seen in the height of summer.

Morgan Creek was still running about normal, maybe a little low, but all
of other usual watercourses or wet spots were all dried up - not even
mud.

After leaving Mason Farm, I took a quick ride over to the 751 Bridge at
Jordan Lake, where the effects of the drought are very obvious.  The
water level at Jordan Lake is incredibly low - on one side of the
bridge, the only water is in the old creek bed, and everything else is
grown over with grass.  At the bridge, I saw an Osprey, quite a few
Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets (looked for Rob G.'s immature White
Ibis, but no luck), Cliff Swallows and Barn Swallows.  I also saw a very
large raptor way in the distance that I expect was a Bald Eagle from its
size.

Amalie Tuffin
Durham, NC