Yard bird #112

all,

I got another yard bird this morning in my 1 acre piece of heaven just
east of Clayton, NC: a red-headed woodpecker. I knew a colony existed
about 1 mile further east in hurricane-damged woods along the Nuese and
knew it was just a matter of time 'til one flew over; I didn't know it
would be almost 6 years before one would get around to doing it when I
could see it! This completes my sweep of all 7 "common" NC woodpeckers
(all but the red-cockaded)  in  the yard.  I suppose it is always
possible one of the Johnston Community College RCWs could get lost in my
neighborhood some day ;-).

Three green herons were on the pond behind the house earlier this week;
they nested in the alders at the top of the pond about two years ago.
The drought has the water level about 15 inches below the standpipe and
extensive exposed sand and mudflats ringing the pond. Perhaps some
shorebirds will use it during fall migration.

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC
clyde_sorenson@ncsu.edu