Jordan L. Storks

Hi folks,

Birded Jordan Lake early this Sunday morning. Best birds were two WOOD
STORKS! Were at New Hope Creek arm. They can be seen if you park at the 751
Bridge parking lot (just north of the bridge) and walk to the shore and walk
the shore upstream. They were seen feeding in the mudflats, shallows in the
middle, and also seen perched in the trees on the opposite shoreline with the
Great Blues and Great Egrets. This species seems to wandering inland in NC
more than usual since I had one near Scotland Neck last weekend. Hope they
hang around for anyone that wants to see a stork in the Triangle area.  There
were also three White Ibis there too.

Also, finally, there were good numbers of shorebirds in at the lakes too. At
New Hope Creek, I had 5 Greater and 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, 10 Spotted and 7
Solitary Sandpipers, 25 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 11 Western Sandpipers, 55
Leasts, 45 Pectorals, and 9 Stilt Sandpipers.    I went by Falls Lake before
coming home and had 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 5 Spotted and 1 Solitary
Sandpipers, 10 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 3 Western Sandpipers, 30 Leasts, 20
Pectorals, 1 Stilt Sandpiper, and 1 Sanderling.

Looks like we will need to keep checking the flats at both lakes now that the
pipers have finally started to appear in the area.
Later, Ricky

Ricky Davis
Rocky Mount, NC
RJDNC@aol.com