Birding trip to Heintooga, Great Smokies

C-birders:
Ran a very enjoyable day-trip to the Heintooga area of the Smokies on
Saturday 20 July. Despite the heavy rain shower, we finished the day with a
good tally. There are already warblers (mostly immatures) flocking and
starting to move around. We had one small group, including Blackburnian,
Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green and Chestnut-sided. Also with the
group was Red-breasted Nuthatch and Black-capped Chickadee.
Our best bird had to be a singing Hermit Thrush along the access road. As
far as I am aware of, this is considerably further south than normal for
them to be on territory. I have heard them regularly north of Asheville in
the Black Mountains, but never in the Smokies. Does anyone else have any
further information?
Our next Venture will be to Mt. Mitchell on 21 August and there are a few
spaces left.
Others are: Curtis Creek (warbler migration) on September 19, Caesar's Head
(hawkwatching) on September 22,  and Jackson Park (migration) on September
28.
Contact me in the office for more details.
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures Birding and Nature Tours
PO Box 1095