Ridge Junction & Jackson Park 7/27/02

I went up to Ridge Junction Overlook (BRP milepost 355.8 next to Hwy 128
which leads to Mt. Mitchell SP) to see if more was moving today than last
week and boy was it.  It surely didn't look like the end of July this
morning with the warblers moving about.   I ended up with 7 warbler species
including Black-throated Green, Black-throated Blue, Black-and-white,
Chestnut-sided, Blackburnian, Canada, and Ovenbird.  There were good numbers
of these, so they're not all just local breeders.  Also seen up there was
Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Scarlet Tanager
(male in basic plumage),and  many Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.  The two odd
species for the morning was a Carolina Wren (rarely found at that elevation)
and a lone male Red-winged Blackbird (only the second time I seen one up
there--odd to see them sitting on spruce trees).
     I then wandered down to Jackson Park in Hendersonville to see if there
was anything going on there.  I went down the warbler trail and had pretty
good results.  I had six warbler species in a couple of flocks which
included Worm-eating, Blackburnian, Black-throated Green, Black-and-white,
Northern Parula, and American Redstart.  Looks like fall is getting off to a
good start!

  Dwayne
Dwayne Martin
Foothills Bird Club