Jordan L. NC update 27 July (fwd)

Birders,

I ventured down to Jordan Lake in central NC around 8am and encountered
nearly as many birders as species of shorebirds.  A couple of folks (Alan
J., I believe) had seen two Wood Storks early this a.m., but we were
unable to relocate them.  Also did not find the Am. Avocet reported a few
days ago.  We explored the part of the lake reached by walking west and
north from the north end of the Hwy 751 bridge.

A number of birds were too far away on the far shore to safely ID.
Here's a list of the species of interest that I saw with very rough
numbers:

Great Blue Heron 40+
Great Egeret  120+
White Ibis  6
Am. Black Duck  2+
Wood Duck  2+
Osprey  3
Bald Eagle  4
Semipalmated Plover  6
Killdeer  lots
Lesser Yellowlegs  6
Solitary Sandpiper  4
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  10+
Least Sandpiper  10+
Pectoral Sandpiper  20+
Stilt Sandpiper  12

Good Birding.

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278