From: "Leah Campbell" <faeriemaiden@hotmail.com>
To: <carolinabirds@duke.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 8:28 AM
Subject: young cardinals

Dear Carolina Birders,

Last month, a pair of cardinals were nesting in the variegated privet "tree"
outside my mom's bedroom window. I even got some good photos of the pair
feeding their young; (I set up my tripod and cable release inside the
house). Unfortunately, a few days later, a cat climbed the privet and
loosened the nest. I was at my computer in the next room when I heard two
very frantic cardinals. I rushed to the scene and quickly ousted the cat
(and gave it a good spray with the hose). I found the nest all topsy-turvy
with one chick hanging on and one on the ground below, thankfully untouched
by the marauder. I grabbed a little basket from the house and gently place
nest and chicks inside and hung it on a branch of the privet. To my great
relief, the parents returned to feed the young. However, I checked the
basket a day or two later and found it empty, but with no signs of
disturbance. I could only hope they fledged.

Several weeks later I saw a very young male, (who looked like a fire victim
with red patches and soot marks all over), at my platform feeder. Just
yesterday I saw a young female of similar age (same pale, blotchy beak and
toussled feathers) at the feeder. The adult pair still comes to the feeder
as well, but on separate visits. I sincerely hope these young ones are my
little rescuees. It does my heart good to think so. :-)

Leah

Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com