young cardinals

Dear Carolina Birders,

The two immature cardinals in my yard have been such a joy to watch as they
grow and learn. The young male is the boldest, often appearing to watch me
as I water plants or pull weeds. He was the first to come to the platform
feeder, but is now accompanied by his shy sister. Both are quite comical in
appearance, with blotchy beaks and shaggy feathers. The female has a very
scanty crest, with only five or so feathers to raise. Yesterday she joined
me for a bit of sunbathing. I watched her fly to the top of a small oak tree
where she stood motionless, feathers spread out like fans. After a while,
she began preening away, then returned to the sun-worshipping pose. The male
sat half-hidden in a sweetgum tree, enjoying the deep shade instead. He
began to utter a few strains of song, the first I'd heard from him. It was a
version of "purty, purty, purty" but rather weak and garbled. Nevertheless,
I praised his efforts. Before long, the sunbathers retreated to join him in
the comfort of the shade.

Stay cool,
Leah

Leah Campbell
Cornwell, SC
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence."
Robert Lynd