lack of shorebirds Topsail

This am I visited the large grass fields ()300 to 400
acres) associated with the Topsail Beach or Sneads
Ferry sewage and water treatment plant. With the large
rains we have had I thought pools of water might be
rewarding for upland or buffbreasted sandpipers which
I have seen there before--I saw NO SHOREBIRDS --not
even a killdeer but did see 3 coyotes and two
alligators in the ponds next to the office. An
employee told me that Canada geese had raised 30 young
there but they couldn/t fly yet and only one was
left."here is not much doubt in my mind thhat they
played a role in the diminishing gosling dept but am
not certain they would scare shorebirds that much
considering the size of the area-clancy ballenger