Bald Eagle, increase in hummers

Today I swung by the NCSU farms Dairy pond to check for shorebirds (Spotted,
Solitary and Least present) and scope the north end of Lake Wheeler.  Best
bird at Wheeler was an adult Bald Eagle.  Not too uncommon here, but always
nice to see.  Surprisingly Wheeler is at full pool so there is not much
shorebird habitat available.

Hummer numbers increased quite a bit today when compared with the past
several weeks.  I'm assuming these are migrants from farther north.
Apparently hummer migration is in full swing.  We are also seeing baby birds
that we did not see during late May and June.  Wonder if the nests failed
during the dry months and the birds successfully renested once the rain
began?  We've noticed young cardinals and chippies over the last several
days.

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry on tripod backpacks.  I ordered a
TriPak from ABA sales today.  Won't help at Jordan tomorrow, but maybe next
time!

Have a great weekend,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC

(Lake Wheeler is in southern Wake Cty, NC.  The NCSU farms are on Lake
Wheeler Rd south of Raleigh and are only open to birders who have written
permission.  Permission may be obtained from the field office on Lake
Wheeler Road.)