Royal Tern Behavior

Dear Carolina Birders,

I'm curious if someone has information on an aerial display performed by
Royal Terns in which two birds will glide for several minutes, occasionally
making sudden directional changes, in complete synchronicity only inches
apart.  I watched at least three separate "pairs" doing this yesterday over
the jetty pond at Huntington Beach State Park.  Ordinarily I would have
thought it was possibly some sort of mating behavior, but because there were
many young birds around the pond (I'm assuming they were this years' birds)
and because my guides show their breeding period to be from March until
June, I wonder if my assumption may be completely off.  I'd sure appreciate
any additional information.

Thanks,
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach, SC