Jordan Lake - New Hope mudflats

10 birders checked out the New Hope Creek mudflats at Jordan Lake this
morning.  Water levels are higher than during my last visit two weekend ago,
but still at levels conducive to attracting shorebirds.  Best part of the
day was that the temperature was downright comfortable for an August
morning.  Mike Skakuj kept tally of the birds and reports the following:

Willet - 1
Ruddy Turnstone - 1
Black-bellied Plover - 1
Western Sandpiper - 1
Least Sandpiper - 29
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 27
Semipalmated Plover - 12
Stilt Sandpiper - 7
Pectoral Sandpiper - 64
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 83
Spotted Sandpiper - 16
Solitary Sandpiper - 3
Killdeer - 93

Total of 340 shorebirds (or 247 excluding the Killdeer) if my math adds up.

I think I'll try it again in the morning if anyone else wants to come along.
I'll leave the gravel parking lot west and 0.3 miles north of the 751 bridge
about 6:45 a.m.  Drop me a note if you are coming so I'll know to wait for
you.  According to the GPS the birds were a little over 0.5 miles from the
cars this morning (although the walk is slightly longer due to the curving
shoreline, etc.)

Best,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC