(Fwd) Purple Martin Roost in Raleigh

From: "Tim Francis" <tfrancis1@nc.rr.com>
To: <carolinabirds@duke.edu>
Subject: Purple Martin Roost
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 16:20:47 -0500

Lena Gallitano told me to write you to let you know that there are
approx. 2500 - 3000 Purple Martins staging on two communications towers
at Western Blvd in Raleigh. At 8:00- 8:15 pm they will fly to a strip
mall and roost in 8 trees within the mall area. This is an incredible
sight to see. The PM will gather in large groups and then like a tornado
begin to fly down and then a mad dash to the trees. I have had to calm
people because the think these bird will harm them. They will not be here
too much longer so do not wait.

Sincerely
Tim Francis
919-431-1691 Work

[This message bounced because it was sent in html format by a non-
subscriber.  For information about posting to Carolinabirds, see
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/cbirds.html .  I edited this message for
clarity and to remove the html and am forwarding it to get it out
quickly, since folks want to go look tonight - CWC]

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu