Jordan Lake - Morgan Creek mudflats

This morning 19 birders on a Chapel Hill Bird Club trip visited the
Morgan Creek mudflats at Jordan Lake (Chatham Co., NC).  We had a lot of
the same species as were seen at the nearby New Hope Creek mudflats. Our
highlights included a nice flock of Stilt Sandpipers and a nice flock of
Bald Eagles in various plumages.  Here's what we noted:

75 Great Blue Heron
60 Great Egret
1 Snowy Egret
12 Little Blue Heron
1 White Ibis
2 Glossy Ibis

25 Mallard (no other ducks, though one Mallard was about as dark as a
Black.  Also had some Canada Geese.)

6 Bald Eagle

1 Black-bellied Plover
20 Semipalmated Plover
50 Killdeer

25 Lesser Yellowlegs
1 Solitary Sandpiper
5 Spotted Sandpiper
150 Semipalmated Sandpiper
6 Western Sandpiper
25 Least Sandpiper
50 Pectoral Sandpiper
16 Stilt Sandpiper

5 Purple Martin
2 N Rough-winged Swallow
50 Barn Swallow
1 Cliff Swallow

It was a fun trip and a nice shortcut, though every one got wet feet
crossing Morgan Creek on a broken beaver dam.  Directions (via the usual
route, not crossing private property:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/morgan.html )

Next week we're planning to check out some sites at Falls Lake (perhaps
the RR trestle area) for more shorebird action.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu