Yard observations

For the last few days I've been able to observe 2 male Scarlet Tanagers
molting into  nonbreeding plumage as they perch on my hanging suet cage,
dining on an orange suet cake. They are at different stages in their molts.

Their hanging on the side of the cage has afforded me great views of their
white wing linings, which I've never noticed or seen before in flight.
Sibley illustrates them in his book.

Pileated Woodpeckers have been hanging around more, I think partially because
of the Sassafras fruit that's ripe now.  The other day I saw one perch on a
branch "sideways" like a passerine for a short time.  Looked pretty strange.

A new yard bird, an Eastern Kingbird, took a dust bath under the feeders.

At Jordan Lake on Sun. got to see a life bird, Stilt Sandpiper, thanks to
Steve Shultz and all.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC