Purple Gallinule !

C.Birders,

Today at 3:35 after only a 15min. wait I was also lucky enough to see
the Purple G. I was sharing great views that filled the scope with some
visitors to the garden. The lady said there's another one, I was
thinking she saw a Green Heron because they were everywhere. I turned to
look and to my surprise the second P.G. had appeared.
I had the platform to myself after that and continued to watch both
birds off and on for close to an hour. The duller of the two birds
disappeared into the reeds right in front of the platform. The other
bird made it's way out the canal about 40 yrds. and scooted out of
sight. The bird appeared with a 2ft. piece of vegetation and flew a
short way toward the overlook,landed and ran the rest of the way. He
went into the thick grass and it looked as though they made a nest
switch. This happened right under the stationary binoculars and around
ten feet straight in front of the platform.
My Encyclopedia of North American Birds say's they lay eggs April thru
July. I think there is a good possibility these birds are on a nest.
I'll be off line until 11P.M. If there is any questions I'll try to
answer them at that time. Good hunting if you need a P. Gallinule,
PATIENCE !!!

Phil and Sharon Turner
Myrtle Beach, S C
philshar@earthlink.net