Purple Gallinules

After reading the several posts about the Purple Gallinule at
Brookgreen, I began wondering how hard it is to find this bird?  I have
been living in South Carolina for about two years, making several trips
to Florida during that time - and always on the lookout for this elusive
bird.

Thursday a week ago (8/1) I was making a trip to Florida and stopped at
Savannah NWR on the way.  The wildlife drive was closed, but I parked at
one of the parking areas, and walked down one of the dyke roads a little
ways.  There I found my lifer Purple Gallinule (and my 2nd, 3rd, 4th,
and 5th - 1 juvenile, the rest adults).

They were not at all elusive - it took about 3 minutes to find my first
one.  I figured that I had just never been in the right place at the
right time before.  Consequently, I didn't bother to post my findings.

Now I'm wondering if I have done an injustice to the brotherhood of
birders who are still looking for what my children call "the purple
water chicken."  If so, please accept my deepest apologies.

--
Mark Seymour
Bishopville, SC