Bass Lake birds

Stopped by Bass Lake, located just off Hwy 221 between the Blue Ridge
Parkway and the town of Blowing Rock (aka Sucking Stone). Bass Lake is a
terrific place to get up close looks at Wood Ducks. I've seen bread
provisioners get mobbed by a hen and her brood. Tamest Woodies I've seen
other than in New Orleans. Today there were 2 pairs and a single male, all
close to the bank and offering very good looks. There were also Blue-winged
Teal, a nesting Great-blue Heron, and I think a female American Widgeon (or
a female Ring-necked Duck). A Lesser Yellowlegs tried to avoid detection
just as I was leaving, but no chance!

Great day to be up on the Parkway. Everybody remember to visit Lewis Fork
Overlook in late April (just north on the Parkway above Hwy 421...milepost
270). Great looks at migrants without the leaf cover that is out everywhere
else.

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC