From: Brad Carlson [mailto:bradcarlson1@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 10:59 AM
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
Subject: BLACK RAILS GALORE

This weekend I was planning to scuba dive offshore on Saturday and Sunday
out of Morehead City, NC.  We got out on Sunday, but on Saturday, we
canceled due to the wind and waves offshore, so I decided to try to locate
and photograph Black Rails.  I have seen and heard Black Rails previously,
but have never successfully photographed them.

I headed to North River Marsh around 6:30am and immediately heard the
"growling" of a BLACK RAIL.  Great!  Now I knew the BLACK RAILS were in the
area.  All the bug bites might be worth it afterall.  (Yes, the biting flys
are absolutely horrible there!!!)  I headed in that direction through the
waste high marsh grass, and before I made it to the location, I saw two
BLACK RAILS feeding together in a low area at the edge of the tall grass.
These birds were too far away for a photograph, but great for looks.  The
two rails fed and chased each other in circles, moving in and out of the
deeper cover (anything over six inches is deep cover for them).  Awesome,
now I had seen them for my year list and had tied my highest day sighting
count of two BLACK RAILS, and the first time I ever saw two at the same
time!

I continued in their direction to see if I could get a photo.  After hearing

me take a single photo, they bolted into the deep grass.  After that they
did not come back into the clearing.  I tried to call them out with no
success, but they stayed close by chasing each other through the deep grass
at my feet.  Off to my right I heard another BLACK RAIL with the typical
"kiki-krrr" call.  The first full call I had heard that morning.  I slowly
made my way towards the area which was again at the edge of a low clearing.

I called the bird, and it immediately called back.  Then to my amazement,
only a few feet in front of me, an adult BLACK RAIL walked through some low
grass, followed by three (3) tiny chicks and a second adult at the back of
the line.  It was a whole family in a parade like march through the marsh
grass!  The chicks were making a "cheeping" type call the whole time.  I had

no idea what the chicks were supposed to look like since I had never seen a
picture or drawing.  I can tell you that they are about the size of a cotton

ball, they are pure black fluff, with a bright white beak.  Five Black Rails

together in addition to the two (2) I had previously seen for a total of
seven (7) SEEN for the morning!!!

I was absolutely ecstatic at this point, but realized that I enjoyed the
moment so much that I never even raised my camera!  I stood still for about
thirty minutes hoping to recapture the scene.  The whole family played at my

feet.  Most of the time they were too close for me to focus my camera, and
the rest of the time, they were in and out of the deep grass so fast that
there was no chance for a photo.

So, my objective of photographing BLACK RAILS is hanging on the single
picture that I took when I first arrived.  Hopefully it will be decent!  I
did get some point blank shots of Virgina Rails that were also in the area.

I can certainly say that it was a morning of birding I will never forget!

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com