Alligator River Wildlife Refuge

April 27th:

We birded the nature trail at the end of Buffalo City
Road in ARWR...a beautiful walk; not much variety, but
numerous praire warblers that pish to your face; also
prothonotary, parula and carolina wren; cedar
waxwings.

The treat of the day were brown-headed nuthatches...we
saw these in the pines over the trail, but when we
returned to the parking area we decided to take the
short trail off to the side that leads to the small
deck overlooking the water...just off the deck there
is a snag with a nest hole in it, almost at eye level.
A pair of Brown-headed nuthatches were flying in and
and out of the hole with insects, obviously feeding
young.

linda and skip

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward