RE: KC's birdseed flower, dead Sora, etc.

Hi Carolinabirders,

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 KCat504@aol.com wrote:

> I suppose I could wait til this flower goes to seed to get my answer,
> but, as I am the impatient type I was wondering if any of you would be
> familiar with what bird seed this flower sprung from.
>
> http://kcfoggin.homestead.com/files/flower.jpg

This looks like something in the Mustard family. I know some bird seed
mixes include Rapeseed, Brassica napus or B. rapa; it's probably one of
those or a related species. From what I've heard, the rapeseed is
basically filler which almost no birds eat, like Sorghum, Milo, and
others. They're mixed in with some blends because they are cheaper than
more desirable seeds like millet and sunflower, which could explain why
the seed is growing under your feeder rather than being digested in some
bird's belly (not that I've never seen millet or sunflower growing under
my feeders before).

> Also, a curious question.  I see many posts here of painted buntings
> visiting birder's yards, yet I've never spotted one here.  Is there any
> particular vegetation, landscape, etc. which attracts them?
>
> Randy Dunson
> Hillsborough  NC

I think it's less what you do than where you live. Painted Buntings are
coastal plain specialties, common enough breeders in SC, but their regular
range just barely includes the southern Outer Banks, and doesn't include
the NC Piedmont at all. I think there are one or two Triangle records, but
landscaping for PABUs in Hillsborough is kinda like putting out thistle
seed in NC to attract Redpolls: could attract some good birds, but
probably not the one you want.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Rob G wrote:

> Then Sun. afternoon drove into workplace building and immediately found
> a SORA RAIL dead on walkway(window-hit) -- how bizarre is that??? --
> it's now reposing in my freezer (right next to the veggie burgers!!
> if it's of use to anyone let me know, maybe Duke or the Raleigh
> Museum???

John Connors <John.Connors@ncmail.net> at the NC Museum of Natural Science
in Raleigh is always looking for more specimens (bird and otherwise) for
the Naturalist Center. The contact information and submission instructions
have been posted here several times, and I thought I had saved a copy, but
can't find it now....

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose