Wilkes/Alleghany birds

Folks:
	I visited a few spots in Alleghany and Wilkes Counties, NC, yesterday
(May 1). I came back to the office today to read about a Chukar not far
from where I was. Would have been neat to see it, even though it
wouldn't be countable.

At Bullhead Mt. State Natural Area, I had a fairly bland bunch of birds,
with no high elevation hardwood species. Perhaps 3800 feet is too low
for some things, or maybe they (e.g., Canada Warbler, Veery, etc.)
aren't there yet. There are lots of Ovenbirds, Black-and-white Warblers,
etc., and I heard at least singles of Hooded, Chestnut-sided, BT Green,
BT Blue, and Redstart there. Red-eyed Vireos are very common, and a few
Blue-headeds are there; Scarlet Tanagers are common, but I did not hear
any RB Grosbeaks. One or two Common Ravens were calling overhead, for
the most interesting bird. The overgrown fields on adjacent land had
lots of Field Sparrows.

A drive thru some fields in the Glade Creek and Glade Valley area
produced a singing Savannah Sparrow on territory. I didn't hear any
Vesper or Grasshopper sparrows, though there may be a few around. (I
didn't stop; I drove slowly with the windows down.) Song Sparrows are
the most abundant bird in this part of the county, as they are in much
of the mountains.

I dropped off the escarpment and drove down Sheets Gap Road, and heard a
few Worm-eating Warblers. I spent some time at Rendezvous Mountain State
Forest, but there weren't any birds of note. I saw a few Wild Turkeys
here and there, but I didn't see any Ruffed Grouse, Bobwhites, or
Chukars!

NOTE: About 2 weeks ago there was a bird even more interesting, though
still un-countable, in Wilkes County. A radio-tagged Whooping Crane from
the experimental program was flying north from Florida to Wisconsin, but
got off-course and ended up in Wilkes County, where the signal was lost.
I heard this through FWS and NCWRC e-mails. I do not know the fate of
the bird. If I hear more, I'll let carolinabirds know. But -- at least a
Whooping Crane was in NC!
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program