Cobweb Skipper(H metea) in Durham, NC

Folks,

Today while in Durham I was getting my truck inspected and a oil change, so I decided to walk the power line across the street for my mechanics shop on Guest Rd, I had an hour to kill. Any way things looked bad in the powerline, it had become very swampy, been sprayed so bad even the blackberries were dead and no native grasses were noted. Only a few steps in I found a fresh Olive Hairstreak Callophrys gryneus) nectaring on buttercups. It seemed the only things flying were Pearl Crescents (Phyciodes tharos) most of the time.

I then ventured up a sewer line easement and it intersected with a smaller single pole power line, here I found a female Cobweb Skipper (Hesperia metea) nectaring on blackberries. I managed one decent photo before she flew off, this was a first record for Durham Co., NC and in the city limits. I'll upload a photo to my page at http://public.fotki.com/rlephoto/cobweb_skippers/ later tonight.

Here's the list of which many were new for 2003 indicated with a *

1 Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes) male
4 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
1 Cabbage White (Pieris rapae)
6 Orange Sulphur (Colias eurytheme)
1 Cloudless Sulphur (Phoebis sennae) *
1 Sleepy Orange (Eurema nicippe)
1 Olive Hairstreak (Callophrys gryneus) * for NC
10 Eastern Tailed-Blue (Everes comyntas)
50 Pearl Crescent (Phyciodes tharos)
2 American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis) female laying eggs
2 Red-spotted Purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax)
1 Viceroy (Limenitis archippus) *
5 Carolina Satyr (Hermeuptychia sosybius)
1 Common Checkered-Skipper (Pyrgus communis) *
1 Least Skipper (Ancyloxypha numitor) *
1 Cobweb Skipper (Hesperia metea) female NCR

Randy Emmitt
Butterflies Found In North Carolina Online
http://www.rlephoto.com/butterflies/butterflies.html
Coming soon an interactive CD The Butterflies of NC, SC, VA and WV