Yard Birds and CBC

Howdy!

I just sent the CBC Newsletter to the printer, so I finally have a
chance to write about my backyard birds and the CBC meeting in Clemson.
I adore chickadees, so of course I was worried as a chickadee was
talking and appeared upset outside of it's box. Just a week earlier I
was delighted to show my Mom six chickadee eggs inside the box. I got
the nerve to look inside the box when we returned from Clemson to find
it empty, with no signs of eggshells inside or on the ground. The
consensus at the Chapel Hill Bird Club meeting Monday night was a snake.
I told them after a suspected snake two years ago, we put a snake guard
and baffle on the box. Then someone replied "a smart snake!" UGH!! This
is our sixth spring in this house and they've only been successful once
when they used that box!

I was delighted to see my catbirds return last Wednesday. Yesterday
there were three and today I saw a pair feeding close together. It was
neat to look outside and see a Gray Catbird and a White-throated Sparrow
Monday. I haven't seen or heard the sparrow the past two days though.

After reading about the great birding in the Townville area of SC, Joe
and I signed up for that trip last Friday during the CBC meeting. I
enjoyed seeing A. Wigeon, Gadwall, Osprey, Solitary Sandpiper,
Grasshopper and Field Sparrows singing, Cattle Egret, Blue Grosbeak, and
Eastern Kingbird, along with many others.

Saturday we chose the all day Walhalla Fish Hatchery trip. What a great
place! The Eastern Hemlock Forest is stunning. I was happy when a Wood
Thrush and Ovenbird
greeted us with their songs as we started. Spring was is full song with
Black-throated Green, Black-and-White, Black-throated Blue, Kentucky,
Prairie, Worm-eating, Yellow-throated and Swainson's Warblers singing.
It's always wonderful to see a stunning, male Scarlet Tanager. Vireos
serenaded us, also. Of course I was happy to see a Common Loon on Lake
Jocassee as we were visiting Devil's Fork SP. I was teased about looking
at the loon for so long instead of the gulls across the lake!
Hmm....loons or gulls? Of course I would choose to watch my beloved
loons!

Thanks to Steve Patterson for coordinating another fun CBC meeting. Now
I'm looking forward to Dwayne's September meeting in Hickory!

Off to start counting birds for the Birdathon.

Happy birding!! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net