Chapel Hill spring count

Hi again,

Sunday's count was a funny one. As with last year, I combined it with the
NHAS Wildathon, and with the Duke Natural History Society species
inventory of the Irvin Tract (private land near Carrboro). This, of
course, resulted in a lot of distraction from birds by plants, insects,
herps, etc. Which led to a wierd list: top species was Canada Goose,
courtesy of a couple of families with goslings in area farm ponds; tied
with American Crow, thanks to a big mob harassing a pair of Red-shouldered
Hawks. More Ovenbirds (4) than Chickadees (3) (sorry Karen). More
Rough-winged Swallows (8) than Titmice (7). More Hairy Woodpeckers (3)
than Downy (2) and more Red-headed (4) than Red-bellied (3). More
Black-throated Blue Warblers (6) than Eastern Towhees (4). Nine warbler
species total; in addition to BTBW and Ovenbird, we also had Parula,
Pine, Prairie, Yellowthroat, Redstart, Chat, and Hooded. Best looks were
at the Hooded, though - for the second year in a row - Craig Armstrong
found an Ovenbird nest!

Of course, lots of highlights among non-feathered creatures. Box turtle,
two holly species loaded with flowers, an abundance of yellow-legged
cyanide-secreting millipedes, a spectacular rove beetle, a patch of Black
Cohosh, some delicate Eyelash-Cup fungus... I think my favorite sight of
the day, of all these and many more, was a Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera
sempervirens), loaded with flowers, draped over a small Fringe-tree
(Chionanthus virginiensis), also loaded with flowers!

Good birding and everything else,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University