(fwd) RFI: South Carolina Specialties

Forwarded from Birdchat...

Date:    Tue, 6 May 2003 13:34:22 -0700
From:    Chris Lyons <cjlyons@YAHOO.COM>
Subject: RFI: South Carolina Specialties

I am currently visiting my parents, who live near
Bluffton in South Carolina, roughly equidistant
between Hilton Head Island and Savannah.  No shortage
of great birding spots nearby, and we've visited most
of them during my stays.  However, time after time,
certain species elude me, most notably Swallow Tailed
Kite, which is supposed to breed in the vicinity, but
is much less common than the Mississippi Kite (which
has also yet to make an appearance on this trip,
though I've seen it on other visits).  I've visited
some spots in the locality which birding guides tout
as good for Swallow-Tailed Kite, but have never had
any luck.

I know there are supposed to be some excellent places
to see good numbers of both kite species in South
Carolina, mainly around the Charleston area, Francis
Marion, Santee River Delta, etc.  I have some old
information about places to go, but am unsure as to
how accurate it still is.  If we go up there, it's a
fair drive, so we won't have much time for trial and
error.  While we're there, we'd also like to try for
Red Cockaded Woodpecker, Bachman's Sparrow, etc.  I've
seen these on previous trips, but I'd love to see them
again.  The Webb Wildlife Management Area, where we've
had good luck in the past, was full of birds this
morning, but the Red Cockaded Woodpeckers were not to
be seen, though marked nesting trees were easily
spotted.

We have some good birding guides to the state, as well
as good state maps, but the birding information may be
a bit out of date--change is bound to occur over time,
and what I'm looking for is as sure a thing as
possible, given the distance I'm asking my father to
drive me.  Fortunately, he also birds.  (g)

We can basically manage one day-long trip this visit,
and it's either north towards Charleston or south to
Georgia (and the Okeefenokee Swamp, which I've never
seen).

I'm here for another week, so any suggestions made in
the next day or so would be devoutly appreciated.

Good Birding!

=====
Chris Lyons
Bronx, NY
cjlyons@yahoo.com

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Box 90340, Durham, NC 27708