Rare day in Craven County and Migratory Bird Treaty Act

Three nice migrants at Little Swift Creek in Craven
County today: Blackburnian, Black-throated Blue, and
Blackpoll.  Other typical riparian forest birds also
seen and heard.

As far as brown-head cowbirds being protected under
the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, I believe the
species list is due for amendment based upon current
scientific evidence.  Eventhough the intent of the law
was to protect birds from endangerment due to economic
exploitation, if a population could scientifically
support sustainable harvest, why not?  We do it with
everything else.  I would love to have a taxidermied
Brown-headed cowbird.  In fact, I might pay good money
(Please do not contact me with solictations).

Kendrick Weeks
Fuquay Varina