Magnolia Plantation birdwalk

The following are highlights of the 3 hour Sunday morning birdwalk at
Magnolia Plantation at 3550 Ashley River Road ( highway 61 ) northwest of
Charleston, SC led by Perry Nugent at 8:30am.

50 Species were seen and/or heard on a nice day.  The most interesting were;
6 Pied-billed Grebes, 100+ Anhingas, 2 Least Bitterns, 10 Great Blue Herons,
100 Great Egrets, 30 Snowy Egrets, 20 Cattle Egrets, 100 Little Blue Herons,
15 Tri-colored Herons, 10 Green Herons, 1 White Ibis, 1 Glossy Ibis, 100+
Wood Ducks, 1 Hooded Merganser may be injured, but seems to do well, 1
Mississippi Kite, 50+ Common Moorhens, 3 Solitary Sandpipers, 3 Spotted
Sandpipers, 30 + Least Terns, 3 Eastern Kingbirds, 3 Northern Parula
Warblers, 4 Prothonotary Warblers, and 3 Painted Buntings including the one
that is green above and orange below.  All of the herons, Wood Ducks and
Moorhens are nesting and have babies.  In the heron rookery at the Audubon
Swamp there are at least 4 calico Little Blue Herons that are on nests
tending eggs.  We did not see what their partner looked like, but hope to
learn that next Sunday. I have watched many Little Blue rookeries, but have
never seen these young gray and white birds tending nests before.

Perry E. Nugent
Charleston, SC
nugentpc@earthlink.net.