FW: FW: Litchfield/Santee/Huntington Beach

Hi Dennis,
Well, you're probably correct on the "Dowitcher". It was located on the
marsh side of the causeway at HBSP. My husband and I compared photos in
our bird guides to the viewed bird and came to our conclusion based on
that. I do have a digital photo which isn't very good, but I could send
it to you. As for the "merganser, it was a female and seemed to be very
tired or ill. It was on the left side of the jetty (facing land) in a
small pond. I watched it for some time, seeing it going under water and
shaking its head when it came up. It seemed to have distinct white areas
on the breast and a very "hairy" head (much more so than the
Red-breasted female). I am still scanning thru my digital photos, trying
to find views of it. If I find one worthy of sending, I will do so.

Thanks for your critique!

Cheers, Joan of Art and Nature

Hi Joan,

Chances are the birds were Short-billed Dowitcher and that the other was
Red-breasted Merganser.  Long-billed Dowitchers are rare fresh water
species
in SC and Common Mergansers are VERY RARE in SC.  I have seen 4 in 34
years
living here.

Cheers,

Dennis