CHBC picnic and backyard birds

Howdy!

Looks like the rain will stop in time for us to enjoy the Chapel Hill
Bird Club potluck picnic dinner tonight at Lake Crabtree in Raleigh.
Bring food to share, plates and utensils (let's try not to throw
anything in the garbage!), a sweatshirt or jacket since it will be cool,
plus, your binoculars, so we can do some birding. You're invited to join
us as the fun begins at 6:30 pm.

This is our sixth spring since Joe and I moved to Raleigh. My chickadees
have only used the nest box successfully one time (last year) since
we've lived here. Earlier I wrote how I was excited to show my Mom six
eggs inside the box. Well, one day I noticed the chickadee was scolding
outside the box and very upset. By the time I got the nerve to look
inside, there were no eggs and no sign of eggshells on the ground. The
next was still intact, which means it wasn't the House Wren again. When
I mentioned it last month at the CHBC meeting, people suggested a snake.
Even though we installed a raccoon baffle and snake guard? GRRR!!!!!!
So, last week I was happy again when I heard a talkative chickadee very
busy feeding two begging kids in the front maple tree. Looks like there
are also Carolina Wren kids further in the backyard begging for food.

I was happy to receive my CBC Newsletter on Friday, which means it only
took three days to get here this time!

Our Birdathon team counted 80 species of birds two weekends ago. One of
my favorite birds to see was a Common Nighthawk circling over a
Greentrail inside the Raleigh Beltline. We used to see them all the time
in south Florida, but we haven't seen many since moving here. I was also
happy to see Rob's Barred Owls on the UNC campus and  singing Chats at
Mason Farm.

Last weekend we participated in the Wake County spring count. We were
delighted to see two Magnolia Warblers in a neighborhood yard (with a
wonderful garden) in our count area. Shelley Lake is within walking
distance from our house, but we don't bird there as often as we should,
so we were happy to add Eastern Kingbird and Orchard Oriole to our
Shelley Lake list.

Look forward to seeing some of you tonight for dinner and birding!!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net