Jordan Lake (NC) Black-cr N-Heron

Birders,

While on a family camping trip to Jordan Lake this past weekend, I enjoyed
waking up in the tent each morning to a serenade of Orchard Oriole, B-h
Nuthatch, E. Kingbird, B. Kingfisher, Am. Goldfinch, C. Grackle, Am. Crow,
Fish Crow, Y-b Cuckoo, Blackpoll Warbler, etc.

Friday evening we heard a "flock" of Fowler's Toads croaking away for
hours and Saturday evening there was a Black-crowned Night-Heron squawking
away as it flew over the lake by the campsite.  According to Will
Cook's outstanding Triangle Area checklist
(http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trichk2002.pdf), this is the first
report of this species this late into May here.

We also saw a few Great Egrets from the Hwy 751 bridge but didn't have
time to stop for a thorough count.

Good birding,

Jeff

Jeffrey S. Pippen
Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences
Rm 139 Biological Sciences Bldg, Biology Department Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708
PH: (919) 660-7278			<jspippen@duke.edu>