Mountain Birding!

Folks,
        Ron Selvey and I headed up to Haywood/Jackson County area this
morning for me to try to pick up some high altitude birds for my year list.
Our target species were Red Crossbill, Pine Siskin, Black-capped Chickadee
and Black-billed Cuckoo.
        Our first stop at Cataloochie Ranch was very productive.
Immediately after getting out of the car I had a Red-Crossbill over the
barn.  Ron missed it but moments later, 2 immatures landed in the Oak Tree
in front of us.  While looking at these birds the Pine Siskins landed in the
same Oak Tree.  We left here and headed up the Blue Ridge Parkway to
Heintooga.  By the Masonic Monument we had a flyover of a probable BB
Cuckoo, but I figured I'd rather have a better look at one before I added it
to my year list.  We moved on to Heintooga to try for the Chickadee.  No
Chickadee of any type, but while standing in the road a Black-billed Cuckoo
called.  Three out of four is not too shabby for a mornings work.
As we headed back out of Heintooga, we also had a Ruffed Grouse and moments
later a Wild Turkey.
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe