South Asheville

Hi folks;
Have had to work at Lowes in South Asheville a couple of days this week, and it has been fun.
I have heard some interesting birds, though haven't had the time to site any.
A Yellow Warbler is singing from the trees along the river, and can be heard almost all day.
An Indigo Bunting is set up in the creek area behind Lowes, and sings all day.
A Willow Flycatcher is there, and the funny "Fee-beeew" can be heard most of the day. He seems to live along the banks of Haw Creek.
Other birds are there.
Curiously, Lowes hasn't completely trashed the place, and has done a few things (perhaps unwittingly) to make it into someting other than an industrial nightmare. They have made a small catchment pond with Cattails, and have planted a few native trees (at least I hope the Sycamore are native), and Haw Creek, after running under K-Mart and a small shopping center, comes out into a nice little wetland that is home to a number of birds, including a Mockingbird who mimics the other birds mentioned; at first I thought he was mimicing a Willow, but heard him singing a Titmouse song while the Willow sang, so am sure a Willow is there. Might get some other birders down there for a look-see.

About life lists:
I know that some birders don't like to help folks with their life lists, fearing that they will chase off rare birds or some such.
As for me, I will go so far as to give a specific locality for a bird if someone needs it.
I would like to see a list, or a group, or something where folks can go and post their "holes" on their life lists and get help finding the birds. I know that I, like Lisa, have glaring holes in my life list, though I have been a birder for most of my 52 years.
If anyone is interested in this, I would be glad to set up a group on Yahoo (to save this list some traffic), and moderate it for the North and South Carolina areas. All responses to this should be off list, and if I get 20 or so, I will start it, post it to the list, and we can save bandwidth on Carolinabirds, then report our victories (and defeats - I still need a good sighting of a Blue Grosbeak) to the list.

Thanks.

--
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist