sapsucker in western NC

Doing our Breeding Bird Survey route Friday, Esther and I encountered a
male Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker along NC 215, about 12.5 miles north of US
64.   We've run the route three years now and this was our first sighting
of a sapsucker -- probably one of the southern Appalachian subspecies that
breeds in the mountains.  This stretch of 215 lacks prominent landmarks,
but if you're interested, email me and I'll try to give you directions.
Wouldn't you know it, the bird flew in just after our three-minute count
window had closed.

Len Pardue, Asheville NC