Re: Native, non-native and nearly native

-- I forgot to include the list in my reply yesterday:

Invasiveness is a crucial factor in evaluating what to
plant.

For example: Phragmites is native to the northeast US
(where it is not so virulent), but down here in the
southeast, it is a rapidly spreading scourge of our
wetlands.  I think the prevailing theory is that it
hitched a ride on dredge barges used to maintain diked
freshwater impoundments.

'Till Later,

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC / San Francisco, CA.

PS My (rather strict) philosophy is that if it wasn't
in one's particular part of the Carolinas before
Columbus arrived, to hell with planting it.

PPS Don't buy anything (from a nursery) that's been
trucked here from the West Coast.  This is to avoid
spreading Sudden Oak Death Syndrome.  S.O.D.S. is very
scary - imagine our forests where some oaks went the
way of the American Chestnut.  Even things like
Christmas wreaths can spread S.O.D.S.