Sooty Terns off Harkers Island, NC

The Carteret Bird Club did a sit-down field trip this evening, 22 June,
at the east end of Harkers Island (Shell Point).  Good place to see a
variety of fly-bys--including most of the wading birds.  While we were
watching, I heard the "wide-a-wake" of a Sooty Tern.  Looked up and 2
were flying around out over the sound.  They then flew over to the bird
nesting island (Sandbag Island) that you can see from the point, and
continued to fly around over it for at least 15 minutes.  Perhaps they
are considering nesting there.

Regrettably, the nesting island has several breeding plumaged Herring
Gulls and Great Black-backed Gulls, which I assume are nesting there.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]