Re: Odd tern

On 6/23/03 3:25 PM, "Clyde Sorenson" <clyde_sorenson@ncsu.edu> wrote:

> As best we could determine, it was a gull-billed, but we were
> reluctant to say it so far inland. Any other inland sitings of
> gull-billed in the NC Piedmont?

There have been at least 3 reports from the NC Piedmont:
3 individuals Sep 4, 1967 Raleigh (exact location not provided)
1 individual Oct 7, 1967 Raleigh (exact location not provided, same observer
as previous report)
1 present July 15-16, 1975 at Salem Lake (Winston-Salem), NC

Note:  The two Raleigh sightings above *may* have been associated with
Hurricane Doria, but this is my guess.  Doria didn't come ashore in NC.

Also, at least one report from Lake Mattamuskeet/Swan Quarter, and a few
from Aurora --- those are probably pretty good sightings too.

I was a little shocked at how few inland reports there were --- I was
expecting more inland hurricane-related sightings.  Perhaps Gull-bills are
long gone by the time we experience most of our hurricanes?  My personal
late record is Sep 9th --- the latest NC occurrence I can find in Avendex is
October 10.  (There are a few SC reports from Nov and Dec.)

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC