Cape Fear Kites

Hi All,

Saw both kites yesterday, will post pictures later. We didn't get back
until 1:00 AM due to outboard failure and had to get towed in, so I haven't
had a chance to check out the over 400 photos I tried to take of flying
birds. We didn't see any birds on the  first run between Lock & Dam #1 and
Riegelwood but found 4 Mississippi Kites at 5 PM a little past Riegelwood
plant between the two loading docks. Got good looks and they even sat in
some trees for us. Then on the way back at 6:30 PM the 6 Swallow-tailed
Kites appeared. We had some fairly low swoops at tree top height as they
circled in the same area for almost an hour. The location was N 34:22:57.2
and W 78:14:25.1 or 2.7 miles down river from hiway 11 bridge. By the way,
this area has had 3 inches of rain, raising the depth from 16' to 20' and
discharge from the dam has gone from 2,000 cu ft /sec to 16,000 and the
current is 4 to 5 knots. If you are thinking of paddling both ways, I would
wait until the river calms down some. You can check the statistics at
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?02105769.

Thanks Sam for posting the locations.

Harry D Sell
Boiling Spring Lakes, NC