bald eagle in Orange County NC

Hi folks,

A friend of mine who lives in Efland (NC - near Mebane/Hillsborough) saw a
Bald Eagle yesterday perched in a tree on Borland Road.  This is pretty
unusual, no?  Looking at my field guides, they are supposed to be rare in
the Piedmont, especially in the Summer.   Thought you all might be
interested.  My friend said if she saw it again, she'd take a picture.  She
saw it pretty close up and there's not much out there that could be mistaken
for this bird, is there?

Was it just passing through?  Or is it possible it has a home nearby?
What's the current Bald Eagle population?

Jenny Richards
Hillsborough NC