Potential Museum Specimen

It always causes an internal twitch when I read about the numbers of
dead birds from myriad causes. This response is amplified when those who
seem to have an interest in birds  seem totally unaware/disinterested in
the possible scientific value that bird carcasses have, assuming that
appropriate data are available and the specimen is intact/unspoiled.
Storms, toxic spills, roadkills, windowkills,towerkills, predators (I'm
resisting the almost overwhelming urge to be more specific, Will), are
responsible for millions of bird deaths, annually. The North Carolina
Museum of Natural Sciences, hopefully, will always have room for more
study skins. Although the death of any bird is quite final for the
individual involved, it's remains can make a significant, permanent
contribution in a scientific collection; otherwise, it's just more
garbage.

Please contact anyone associated with the Ornithology section (919 715
2600) of the Museum for details about getting involved.

Wayne Irvin
ephstop@mindspring.com
910 695 7269