N. Richland county & Morris Creek, 9/24 -9/25/99

Yesterday driving home through northern Richland county, I had just a
glimpse of a Merlin.  By the time I got the car turned around and back to
the field over which I had seen the Merlin, it was gone.  Also gone was a
dove who had been sitting on a power line over the same field.

A good movement of nocturnal thrushes heard this morning on the CAS field
trip to listen to thrushes - predominately Swainson's, but a few distinct
Veery and Gray-cheeked calls, as well as a two or three Wood Thrushes noted
as well.  Among the unidentified thrush calls was something sounding very
much like a Bicknell's but the bird was relatively high in the air and did
not repeat the call. At dawn a smaller flock of Swainson's came down nearby
and continued calling for a short time.  Also heard this morning was a
number (at least three) E. Screech Owls making quite a racket.  I had never
heard the "whinny call" that close.  They really do sound an awful lot like
horses sometimes!

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com