Ridge Junction (10-3) & Season Results

Dwayne and I finished our migration count today at Ridge Junction Overlook
(milepost 355.8 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, just north of the entrance to Mt.
Mitchell).  We had a total of 80 species for the season and 1973 total
migrant individuals (this total includes all migrants and only highest count
of resident birds).  Today we had 55 species including some surprises.  We
had two female Evening Grosbeaks flyover in the 8:00 hour which was very
nice!  We also had a good push of Blue Jays---we didn't think the "blue
river" would ever end!  Here are today's results.

Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  1 (new to the count)
Sharp-shinned Hawk  6  (first of the season)
Broad-winged Hawk  38  (good for our location)
Falcon species  1
Ruffed Grouse  1  (new to the count--flushed by passing car!)
Chimney Swift  4
Ruby-thr Hummer  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3  (first of the season)
Northern Flicker  2  (first of the season)
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Empidonax species  1
Blue Jay  189 (wow)
American Crow  2
Common Raven  6 (very active today)
White-breasted Nuthatch  1  (new to the count)
Red-breasted Nuthatch  20 (including migrants!)
Golden-crowned Kinglet  5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  24
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4
Hermit Thrush  2
Veery  11
Gray-cheeked Thrush  4
Swainson's Thrush  6
Wood Thrush  2
Thrush Species  45 (they just got away from us!)
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  1
Brown Thrasher  1  (new to the count)
Cedar Waxwing  12
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Philadelphia Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Tennessee Warbler  31
Magnolia Warbler  6
Cape May Warbler  7
Black-throated Blue Warbler  25
Black-throated Green Warbler  24
Blackburnian Warbler  7
Bay-breasted Warbler  11
Ovenbird  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Scarlet Tanager  12
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  57
Eastern Towhee  4
Dark-eyed Junco  19 (also including some migrants)
Common Grackle  2
Pine Siskin  11
Red Crossbill  7
American Goldfinch  11
Evening Grosbeak  2  (new to the count)

We plan to do our migration count again next year at the same location.
Make plans now to join in on our fun!

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC