West Nile Virus serosurvey in NC

Carolinabirders:  CDC has contacted us about a serosurvey (blood samples
taken for virus and antibody detection) from resident and migrating wild
birds in NC.  CDC hopes to get enough blood samples to tell if the West
Nile Virus outbreak in NYC is spreading southward through the eastern
states.  If you are capturing and banding birds in NC this fall and
would be interested in helping CDC with this work, please email me at

Nolan.Newton@ncmail.net

and I will forward CDC's protocols and information on supplies for the
sampling to you.  Perhaps we could meet to plan a strategy if enough of
you are interested in participating.

Nolan H. Newton, Ph.D.
Chief, PHPM Section
NCDENR