Red Breasted Nuthatches

This evening between showers I was trying to sit out and enjoy the birds when
I heard red breasted nuthatches all over.  Saw four in the sweetgum tree
right beside me and heard more in the trees to the right and left and above
me.  This was the largest group of RB Nuthatches I've ever seen while we have
lived here.  Sure hope some decide to stay and join the resident white
breasted and brown headed ones.  Thurs. there was one (F) on the suet feeder
a couple of time and I was excited about that, then Friday had another (M),
Sunday had a couple so maybe this will be our year.

Also had my first yellow bellied sapsucker for the fall.  It was an immature
but it was on the same tree that I've seen the usual winter resident one.  A
red belly woodpecker decided he had to go so it flew back into the woods.
Then Sat. evening I spotted my first junco this fall.  I saw it come out of a
huge 25 year old azalea bed to feed on seed that I'd just thrown out.
Couldn't believe there would be one this early.  It hopped back into the bed
but came out about 20 minutes later giving me great looks.  Haven't seen it
since.

This evening saw some goldfinches that were almost completly molted into
winter drab.  The male had only a few yellow feathers left on his head and
the female seemed to be completely molted.

It's been a great couple of days.  Keep waiting to see the kinglets.  Have
heard a few thrushes but not the usual Swainson's that always stop by the
small waterfall at our fish pond.  Still hoping.

Dianne Smith
Durham, NC
JBS4711@aol.com